httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: let's see the patches
Date Wed, 13 Mar 1996 18:07:24 GMT

> > > Can you fix this once and for all. It can be *REALLY* annoying to get
> > > home in the evening and find that you can't do any work because some
> > > person in another time zone who's now in bed has locked some of the files.
> >
> > We can fix it at the repository, I presume, by setting permissions on check
> in.
> > Any idea which script needs changing??
>
> Not off hand and it's not a good idea unless you know what the perms should
> be on each file (They'd probably all be the same to it might work anyway but
> then again they might not).
>

> > I can't really fix it here without breaking other things, which means it would
> > have to be a manual system, which is what we already have.
> >
> > I will try to avoid making the mistake in the meantime. It only happens when
> > I create new files, BTW, so it isn't likely to stop work.
>
> The problem is you umask, why would it be a problem to change that locally?
> You could just write a local wrapper that changed your umask for cvs work or
> a wrapper that checked your code before it's committed to make sure it's
> group accessible. Whatever, it's a local problem.

I know what the problem is, and my umask is the way it is for security reasons.

Hang on - how are the correct perms any more determinable at my end than at
the other end? If there is a perms policy to be applied then it could be
applied at either end. I'm happy enough to do it here, but it doesn't help if
someone else makes the same mistake. Hmmmm ... perhaps I could patch CVS to
check for group perms on "add" and warn if they are wrong...

Cheers,

Ben.

London, England.