httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: let's see the patches
Date Tue, 12 Mar 1996 23:23:12 GMT

> At 08:27 PM 3/12/96 +0000, you wrote:
> >I think it is quite right that non-CVS users should get decent support from the
> >CVS system. However, I think we should try to achieve this as automatically as
> >is possible, and with as little restriction on the CVS users as possible.
> >
> >The two main systems that need putting in place to achieve this, IMNSHO, are
> >regular tar archives of the "current" tree, and adding the patch to the
> >CVS update mailing (or, dumping the patch file somewhere and adding its name
> >to the update mailing - opinions, please).
>
> I have somewhat automated this formyself, and it was pretty easy.  I'm
> taking a 'cvs update' from hyperreal at 6am, and 6pm everyday by cron.
> Then I tar that same directory to my personal box every 3 hours, so when
> I go home, I'll have the latest copy of hyperreal +/- any changes I have
> made to it.   I don't think it's as hard as people have thought it would be.

Well, this is fine, but really we should do this on the server, not make
everyone do it themselves.

> >BTW, the time needed to get CVS up and running is the time taken to install
> >diffutils, rcs and cvs + about two CVS commands. On a supported platform (that
> >is, not SCO  ;-) this should be pretty straightforward. Someone ought to write
> >a guide, though.
>

> >The tricky bit is setting up and administering a repository, and that has been
> >done for you.
>
> On the subject, is there anyway to setup a local repository, to work in
> while the main repository is still at hyperreal?  If I'm working on stuff, and
> I would like to keep an internal version number/patch against?

Yes, but you have to keep two copies. If you think for a bit about the
implications of maintaining a single code base against two repositories you
can see why. It certainly makes my head hurt.

Cheers,

Ben.

> <Aram>
> --
> Aram W. Mirzadeh, MIS Manager, Qosina Corporation
> http://www.qosina.com/~awm/, awm@qosina.com
> Apache httpd server team http://www.apache.org

London, England.