httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Windoze and KeepAlive
Date Thu, 07 Mar 1996 09:17:51 GMT

> > Well, actually ... I got inspired and put a network sniffer on it. It would
> > seem that what happens is that Apache shuts the connection, and sends <FIN>,
> > which Windows <ACK>s (implying delivery of an EOF to Netscape). However,
> > Netscape does not close its end of the connection. It then attempts to use it
> > to send the next request (which is actually legal - however, a response to it
> > would not be :-), eliciting an <RST> from Apache (or rather Unix), which seems
> > to cause Netscape to just sit there forever.
> >
> > This is highly uncool behaviour on the part of Netscape. I wonder how we tell
> > them about it, coz it really means that a server with KeepAlive switched on
> > either must put up with open-forever connections, or else look like crap
> > because it appears to hang sometimes. Which means that KeepAlive will be
> > switched off, mostly, which is a Bad Thing.
> >
> > I suppose that now that our server is the one their browser is most likely to
> > talk to they ought to pay a little attention  ;-)
>
> I'd be wary of blaming Netscape for problems on Windows since I've cursed
> it many a time and found that Windows was actually the cause after all.
> Would you believe that a bug with Netscape mysteriously losing individual
> characters from pages turned out to be smartdrive!
>
> I wouldn't feel too comfortable telling Netscape this is their fault unless
> I was sure the TCP/IP and Winsock implementation was actually working
> properly.

True enough, and if either Netscape or Microsoft (for they wrote the TCP/IP
stack) wish to pay me my usual daily rate to determine the blame, I'll happily
do it.

Once I have determined it is not Apache's fault, I have done my job. Reporting
the problem to the obvious person is a favour I do them (though some don't seem
to regard it as such - for example, SCO won't let you report bugs unless you
pay for a maintenance contract).

Cheers,

Ben.

London, England.