httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject WWW Form Bug Report: "Aliases not expanded properly." on SunOS 4.x (fwd)
Date Sat, 30 Mar 1996 23:55:04 GMT

He's using 1.0.3
I thought this was fized loooooong ago.

From: kevin.christian@symbios.com
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Date: Sat Mar 30 14:46:15 1996
Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "Aliases not expanded properly." on SunOS 4.x

Submitter: kevin.christian@symbios.com
Operating system: SunOS 4.x, version:
Extra Modules used: agent_log, referer_log
URL exhibiting problem:

Symptoms:
--
Basically, the alias module doesn't look for the
best match and instead returns the 1st match it

In my srm.conf I had:
 Alias /Harvest/ /usr/local/AD/WWW/harvest/
 ScriptAlias /Harvest/cgi-bin/ /usr/local/AD/WWW/harvest/cgi-bin/

and any cgi's in http://myserver/Harvest/cgi-bin
were not being executed. However, everything works
fine if I put the ScriptAlias BEFORE the Alias line.

What I think is going on is that when Apache sees
the http://myserver/Harvest/cgi-bin/script URL it
is expanding the /Harvest/ alias first without
realizing that there is a better match in the
/Harvest/cgi-bin/ ScriptAlias.

Of course, the workaround is to declare all your
aliases from the most specific to the most general.
Perhaps the alias module can be modified to sort
the alias list from the most specific to the most
general (basically by string length) and get rid
of the dependancy on the order things are declared
in the configuration files.
--

Backtrace: