httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: gethostname
Date Mon, 25 Mar 1996 21:06:18 GMT

> > I've also checked both 5.4 and 5.5 online manual pages and they're
> > both the same
> >
> > .\" @(#)gethostname.3b 1.25 93/09/15 SMI; from SVr4
>
> Look again, you have not installed the new set of man pages from your
> Solaris 2.5 CD then.  This is the top of the file right from the man3c
> directory on the cd:
>
> .\" @(#)gethostname.3c 1.27 95/03/03 SMI; from SVr4

Ok, it's seems pretty certain that the manual pages are out of date, I will
be shouting at someone tomorrow, geeze I even checked with them this afternoon
to save me making a fool of myself twice :-)

However, I'm not giving up yet :-)
The hardcopy manuals of which we have a complete set are most definately
5.5, it's stamped all over them.

The Reference manual does in fact have the gethostname.3c manpage and
not the 3b one with a modified date of 12 Feb 93 which is close enough
to the id in the online one. However, I also have the Source Compatibility
Guide which categorically states that gethostname is implemented in
the compatibility package and this manual is dated November 1995!

Weird. I did an nm on libc and gethostname is definately in it. Seems
Sun are a little confused over what to do with gethostname themselves.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155