httpd-dev mailing list archives

From (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: SetUID once again
Date Mon, 25 Mar 1996 19:35:15 GMT
  In an ideal situation, it seems to me, you would have N (or more)
  multithreaded but separate ("separate but equal"?) processes which map to
  the N distinct UID's you want to use, with the "mother" process running as
  root as it does now.

This is more or less the arrangment I was suggesting earlier, with an
adaptation of the proxy code (which would not be required to run as root,
I think) used to dispatch requests to the distinct-uid child processes.
(You need to do this sort of dispatching because you can't tell how to
process a a request until you've read it, after which, well, you can't
read it again).

View raw message