httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@originat.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: MD5 Digest auth and other things...
Date Sat, 23 Mar 1996 16:29:14 GMT

> >Great! I left in the copyright notice at the top, exactly how it was in
> >the file, is that acceptable as attribution?
>
> I'm not convinced you've got the attribution right, although it may not
> matter. At the top of the file, it claims (C) Apache Group -- which must
> be wrong. This is followed, in sequence, by
> (C) Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois, with subsequent caveats,
>     and then
> (C) Jeff Hostetler, Spyglass, Inc. (no licence supplied)
> (C) Carnegie Mellon University (licence allows its use in Apache)
> (C) Bell Communications Research, Inc. (Bellcore) (licence allows Apache
>     use but does not expressly allow sale)
> Attributions to John G. Myers and Martin Hamilton are also included, without
> any copyright being asserted.
>
> All this for 78 lines of C source...

Yeah, I was just looking at this for a different reason (it's broken
a simple fix is on it's way, the remote commit seems to be stuck).

If those pieces of code are taken verbatim from their original sources then
you can't add the Apache copyright at all. If you've made changes then you
can since it becomes a derived work.

--
  Paul Richards, Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)