httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Threading again...
Date Thu, 21 Mar 1996 16:50:50 GMT
Just a brief note to let people know what I'm up to:

What with all the threads portability discussions, I thought it would
be good (as a reality check on my own position, among other things) to
see how hard it really is to write and port a simple, *nonpreemptive*
threads package.  So far, there isn't much to report (I've got the
thing to pass smoke tests --- kick off a couple threads which each
print the numbers from one to twenty, and die --- on SunOS, HP-UX,
Linux, IRIX, OSF/1, and NetBSD, but there's no point distributing the
code until I clean it up and get it to pass more intensive tests);
also, I can't be sure I know if (or when) it'll be in decent shape.
Still, I thought people might like to know about it.

(At least it's small (so far) --- about the same size as the machine-
dependant support for one processor in pthreads, which has to do a lot
more work, some of it involving machine dependancies that I've
managed, so far, to mostly avoid).

rst