httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: PR & 1.1b1
Date Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:14:08 GMT
  Rob's model of multiple children multithreaded makes a lot of sense to me
  - it's better for multiprocessor CPU's, it's more robust (we'll never
  squish all NULL dereferencing, if a child dies then the whole server
  doesn't go down), and it'll probably make multithreading-as-an-option-for-
  those-OS's-which-support-it-right easier as well.

Thanks, but pool-of-threaded-processes isn't my idea; *lots* of groups
use it.  That includes at least Netscape, OpenMarket, and Zeus; also,
ages ago, Beth mentioned that if NCSA ever did a threaded server, it
would almost certainly be pool-of-threaded-processes.

(Note that many of those servers support APIs, none of which are
"inside-out").

rst