httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: PR & 1.1b1
Date Tue, 19 Mar 1996 17:09:44 GMT

>   Hmm ... how do you propose to do this "quickie" threading package? Will it be
>   any easier than porting pthreads? Why?
>
> My instinct would be to steal the context-switch code from pthreads (yes,
> porting where needed), but *not* to attempt to redo the thread-safe library;
> the whole point of keeping the thing non-preemptive is to be able to use
> the native C library without having to obsessively guard calls to it for
> potential critical sections.  Since the library is actually most of the
> pthreads code, this saves a *lot* of difficulties (and likewise with
> interfacing to third-party libraries which may not exist in a thread-safe
> form).

Hmm, I've got a different idea about the approach. The basic tasks are
the same regardless of the process model. If we ensure that all the
Apache code is thread-safe then we can use those basic building blocks
to build both a threaded and non-threaded server. There'd be a
different top level process model but it can all call the same Apache
routines. I guess it would be a thread-safe WWW-server library with
hopefully only a quite small process handler that uses that library.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155