httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: PR & 1.1b1
Date Tue, 19 Mar 1996 11:59:19 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Well, there are a couple of problems:
>
> 1. Multithreading. We should support it, but some of the platforms don't. Its
> difficult to have a proper protocol API without this or...
>
> 2. Singletasking. Using select etc. to do the whole lot in one task (or at
> least, less than one per connection) - the snag with this is that a whole pile
> of stuff would need rewriting. But the efficiency boost would be enormous.
>
> 3. C++. If we do 2) it would be aided by using C++ (IMO). I don't know how
> people feel about this.
>
> I've been giving it some thought recently, and, although 1 is easier to code,
> 2 would run everywhere and would run faster.

I, for one, would not prefer a direction for Apache that leads to it
running bestest and fastest under Solaris with all the other platforms
as semi-bastard children... Not that any of the above by neccesity do that,
but I would prefer a "package" that runs fast and well on loads of systems
(as it does now) rather than one that runs incredibly on one or two and
meagerly on the rest.

Basically, because I'm selfish :)
++    http://www.jaguNET.com/         +++      Voice/Fax: 410-931-7060       ++