httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: PR & 1.1b1
Date Sun, 17 Mar 1996 13:07:05 GMT
[promted by Sameer's note, but addressed to noone in particular... ;)]

I'm gonna have to be frank with you.  I don't give a shit if Apache
is #1 or 'out-selling' other organisations servers, and I feel
that, for me personally, spending large amounts of development time
telling people how good it is gonna be a waste.

If you want to be number one, if that's what really matters, then
spend time investing in the infrastructure and contacts that has
made possibe Netscape's latest software release.  Why not prompt
'free' CGI/API developers to write something for Apache Group and
build a bullet-proofed library of routines that matches FastTrack's
utility.  And then give it away.

> 	I am in serious netscape-competition mode lately. Strange,
> considering that my business is primarily anonymity and privacy
> services, not webservers. sigh. anyway, I think we need to conjure up
> massive publicity if we are going to stay number one. Netscape is
> putting banners ads on all the heavily hit sites. I've drafted a draft
> press release which we can send out when 1.1b1 is publically
> released. Let me know what you think.
>
> -Sameer Parekh
> -Slimy PR-type ;-)

Yeah, well, then don't be ;)

Cheers,
Ay.

ps.	Netcraft is one of the places I get my money from.