httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: let's see the patches
Date Wed, 13 Mar 1996 20:35:23 GMT
> I know what the problem is, and my umask is the way it is for security
reasons.

> Hang on - how are the correct perms any more determinable at my end than at
> the other end? If there is a perms policy to be applied then it could be
> applied at either end. I'm happy enough to do it here, but it doesn't help if
> someone else makes the same mistake. Hmmmm ... perhaps I could patch CVS to
> check for group perms on "add" and warn if they are wrong...

Because it's the person who does the commit that decides what the perms should
be so it's most definately determinable at your end rather than the server's
end. The problem is you're determining that the files should be accessible
only by you :-)

Maybe cvs should run sgid cvs. This would solve all the current problems,
this one and the need to add people to the cvs group. I seem to remember
there were some problems with this idea but I can't remember what they were.