httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Patches patched... or something
Date Fri, 01 Mar 1996 15:37:48 GMT
> > => cvs -nt -d hyperreal.com:/export/home/cvs checkout apache
> >  -> Starting server: /usr/local/bin/ssh hyperreal.com cvs server
> > Usage: cvs [cvs-options] command [command-options] [files...]
> >     Where 'cvs-options' are:
> >
> >     and where 'command' is:

> > cvs [checkout aborted]: premature end of file from server
>
> I'll bet "server" is not amongst the commands. This means you are attempting
> to run /usr/bin/cvs rather than /usr/local/bin/cvs. Which implies a PATH
> problem.

AhHa! When using 'ssh' to log into hyperreal.com, the shell establishes
the correct paths from my .profile, however when executing cvs from
remote, a default path is being established which puts /usr/bin before
/usr/local/bin.

If anyone else would like a copy of may ~/.ssh/environment file, I am
happy to share. This was the key.

> > Last...
> > Would it not be a good idea to create an apache_test branch that
> > would allow some of us to fumble without the risk of trashing
> > the working branch?  I have visions of greased poles, etc. if I
> > pooch the working branch....
>
> The snag is that it will be lots of work to keep the apache_test branch up to
> date. It will also make the repository much bigger.

I was not necessarily wanting a parallel branch, just one that could be
scratched if it so happens.