httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Patches patched... or something
Date Fri, 01 Mar 1996 15:34:36 GMT
> > I would like to be able to checkout the current tree and import it
> > into my local CVS database. Being able to then checkout a local
> > copy and diff against my local working copy. There are things like
> > setuid() changes in my stuff that I would want to keep out of patches
> > created to send back to the hyperreal database.
>
> Good question, and one I'd like to know the answer to, as well.

Hmm, you drag people kicking and screaming to the water to drink and when they
finally get there they wan't to build swimming pools with wave machines :-)

Umm, you can't really. I'm always being asked awkward questions like this :-)
I'm still working on solutions.

There is a round-about way by branching your local tree and doing in-house
development on one branch and official Apache development on another but
syncing changes in your Apache branch with the official Apache repository
isn't that straightforward. You'd have to get an actaul patch diff of
the changes you make in your tree and apply them by hand to a separately
checked out copy of the official tree and vice-versa. You wouldn't be
able to get cvs to do this for you because your cvs repository and Apache's
cvs repository will be two very different looking things.

> > Last...
> > Would it not be a good idea to create an apache_test branch that
> > would allow some of us to fumble without the risk of trashing
> > the working branch?  I have visions of greased poles, etc. if I
> > pooch the working branch....
>
> The snag is that it will be lots of work to keep the apache_test branch up to
> date. It will also make the repository much bigger.
>
> If you are hesitant about applying patches directly to the tree, then continue
> to submit patches in the old way (well, nearly the old way - the patches
should
> be against the most recent possible version, instead of the previous release).
> That way they will be reviewed before being applied. We are supposed to
> continue to support this method of working, so feel free to use it.

Umm, if something is so basically raw that you're afraid it's going to
break Apache completely then simply don't submit it at all, it's not ready.

The development tree should be allowed to break on occasion as people try out
new things.  With the patch mechanism people were more fussy about this since a
broken patch wasn't acceptable when patches were being applied for a release.
With cvs this really doesn't matter.  If you check something in and Apache is
suddenly totally broken then someone can just fix it straight away.

Like I said though, your submission should at least be working for you in
your local test server before you even think about putting it into the Apache
src tree but people shouldn't be expected to foresee every problem on
every platform and so some leeway of brokeness should be allowed in the
development tree.