httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Patches patched... or something
Date Fri, 01 Mar 1996 11:59:25 GMT

> I've commited to the CVS repository the following patches: 56b, 78b, 15b,
> 106, 107, 108c, 109, 110a, 111a, 112b, 113, 114, 116, 117, 118, as well as
> the new version of mod_imap.c (patched by me to work with 110), mod_env.c
> 0.0.5, and I dumped in the cgi-src from NCSA httpd 1.5.1b3 completely,
> including the IBM-ERS stuff. I did not patch in 104c.htlock.patch, because
> it still #includes <path.h>, which HP-UX at least does not have, or
> 115.log_ignore_host.patch, which I'm still not sure if Roy/Brian likes,
> plus apparently it has some problems with 110 and mod_log_config.

don't hold off committing patches for these reasons, put them in and let other
people fix the problems with their own OS's.

> Since akosut@hyperreal.com needs to be added to the
> apache-cvs.others-who-can-post list, the commit emails are no doubt queued
> up in Brian's mailbox (he can decline to forward them on if he likes,
> unless someone minds), so those of you subscribed to apache-cvs have not
> seen them. But the patches are there, and cvs update does give you the
> latest version of the server, with all the patches.

Please, don't drop the cvs mail messages, it's important to the whole
mechanism that people actually see when things get done. In future I'd
like to delay getting cvs access until Brian adds you to the mailing list.
You should *NOT* be able to commit code without those mail messages getting
to the rest of us.

> The other questions are those of snapshots, and releases, and things like
> that. But that can be hashed out later. I do have a more pertinent
> question, though: what about #define SERVER_VERSION in the CVS tree? Right
> now it says "Apache/1.1b0a", which was the last released version, but
> isn't quite true, and if people use the development versions, I imagine
> we'd like it to be identified as such. So I think at the least,
> "Apache/1.1-dev"  it should be changed to. Obviously, releases get it
> changed anyhow. Is there an RCS keyword that would give you the latest
> modification date of any of the files in the src directory? Obviously,
> that'd be the best, but I don't see any such entity.

I agree that the version should say 1.1-dev. We also need to add Id lines to
all the files so that RCS version numbering is visible in them. I'd leave
the SERVER_VERSION string at 1.1-dev until such time as we move into
a beta cycle and date stamp snapshots as I mentioned in previous mail (did
people get that, never saw any folloups).

We should release a snapshot every fortnight (roughly under our discression).
There also needs to be a checked out copy for lazy bastards like Andy :-)

We're getting there though.