httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: How about mixing BindAddress and VirtualHost???
Date Fri, 09 Feb 1996 11:09:00 GMT
I wrote:
>>Anyone care?  Anyone looked at patching Apache so you could list
>>multiple BindAddress's (possibly in the <VirtualHost> section) to
>>get around this?
>
>What you would have to do is
>1. Create a socket for every bound address.
>2. Do a simultaneous accept on all the sockets.
>   This can only be done by using select on all these sockets, waiting
>   for a 'read' condition. Under Solaris at least, this indicates that
>   that a connection is pending.
>
>   Check the man page for accept on you system to see if it supports this.
>
>David.

Yesterday, I got to thinking, what if this were portable?

You could have apache bind to mulitple ports, and so run virtual servers
on different ports, e.g. http://www.foo.bar/ and http://www.foo.bar:8080/
For example, one of them could be a proxy-only server.

You could also have apache serve multiple protocols simultanously;
e.g. http, https, gopher, ftp... So how about an Apache ftp server?
Maybe we really do want a protocol API.

 David.