httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@organic.com>
Subject Re: 2 thorns attacked
Date Thu, 08 Feb 1996 12:08:01 GMT
On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Another possibility is having a mini-server launched from the parent and
> treated as a "golden child" - subject to the all the regular laws regarding
> children but it goes to a port other than the regular HTTP and can *only*
> answer questions *about* the server.  Make the data queries simple enough
> and have the Java engine do any analysis/rendering.  This child just
> reads the mmap space, doesn't write to it or need access to the
> filesystem or anything.  The beauty is the Java app could be anywhere,
> not just on the same machine.  The server could also keep some
> "beancount" numbers, like hits since last restart, time of last restart,
> etc.

Sounds like a great CGI Brian :)

I think Jim's comment about a dangerous road is valid here.  A web server
should serve, not think about stats.  As for the scoreboard file, we
could move to the modem named uses which is to write the file only upon
reception of a signal, like SIGUSR1 for example.  Adding stuff like this
to the server might not be the best thing.  If someone does write this,
it should be a module and be in contrib.  Creaping featurism...the fungus
that kills many a simple products.

--
Cliff Skolnick                                      cliff@organic.com

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759