httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: votes on 1.0.2
Date Fri, 16 Feb 1996 07:26:16 GMT
On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > BTW, Does anyone know the current status of the HTTP/1.1 content
> > negotiation, especially in reference to feature negotiation?
>
> They are working on it. Hopefully, Brian can keep us in the loop on this one.
> Do not expect a full proposal before mid March, and nothing firm until June.

We're almost ready to give a summary, I believe.  Lots of conneg mail to
catch up on.  The basic jist is that there's not too much different from
what's in the existing 1.1 draft.  Roy's a pretty smart cookie.  :)

We did sort of throw in the towel with regards to HTML feature set
negotiation.  I personally believe the better path is conditional HTML,
with the "level" MIME parameter basically distinguishing between baseline
presumed feature support.

We wish we could have had more feedback from Netscape during this
process, unfortunately.  Other browser and server vendors have worked
with us and realize the importance of content negotiation... funny that
they should and the company that needs it the most doesn't (because
plug-ins destroy any notion of a mapping between the user-agent field,
itself a deprecated hack, and feature support.  Does every windows
netscape 2.0 support shockwave files?  Nope!)

</soapbox>

	Brian