httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: xbit
Date Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:03 GMT
On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, Andrew wrote:
> > If the xbit, is set even is support is disabled in access.conf, then the
> > content-type is always text, even if it's, say, a .pdf file.
> >
> > I'm wondering if Apache isn't detecting the xbit being set and assuming
> > the content-type without checking, which really it shouldn't.
>
> This one comes up every couple of months.  Concensus to date has
> been that there are too many people relying on existing xbithack
> behaviour [such that it takes precedence over any AddType
> application/pdf .pdf].

Ack!  I don't remember that consensus at all last time it came up - if a
.pdf file has an X bit set, are people really putting SSI's in there?  I
don't think so... and since mod_include will always output a file labeled
with "text/html", why would you want to start with anything else?

No, this is a case where, to me, both the X bit and the content-type
should be checked.  I thought this was fixed, but I could be wrong.

However, was the first problem report that the server will always do the
X bit set, even if it's not set as a compile-time option AND it's not
enabled using XBitHack On?  That is a problem, separate from the "it's
parsing non-html files with the X bit set" problem.

	Brian