httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: 2 thorns attacked
Date Thu, 08 Feb 1996 11:16:37 GMT
On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > How would this fit with 23.mmap patch, which avoids having to use a
> > scoreboard file altogether?
>
> How about defining
>
> ScoreBoardFile use-mmap
>
> To switch it on?    Mmmmm, that'd mean I could switch to a file based
> scoreboard to watch httpd_monitor then back to mmap to optimise for
> speed.

I'd prefer if there was a way to ask the server itself through an HTTP
request for statistics.  For a constantly-running daemon that could be a
keep-alive request (if we want to bother making it HTTP-compliant, which we
really don't - "GET /stats APACHETP/1.0" :), at the expense of one child
being consumed in the process.  And then someone has to write the Java app
which talks to the server...

>  does Apache have as many config options as a top of the range Sony VCR yet?

Actually I was thinking earlier today that Apache has become the Emacs of
web servers (just tons and tons of options), or maybe the Perl of web
servers (where everything can be acomplished in 3 or 4 ways, at least).
Actually, when we do mod_eliza then I'll be more confident in the Emacs
designation.

	Brian