httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark J Cox <m...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: New module (fwd)
Date Tue, 27 Feb 1996 15:22:34 GMT
> > I've created a new module that I'd like to contribute.  It's a module
> > that uses the UNIX password file for authentication.  I need this

You can actually already do this (sort of).  I submitted a patch last
April that caused the .htpasswd file to ignore anything after a ":" after
the password.  Someone submitted something similar again last month.  Then
you just point "AuthFilename /etc/passwd" and it works.  I don't think
its a good thing to document, it's not something we want everyone doing:
finding out that their favourite account with password "aardvark" has
been compromised because someone sent the dictionary with keep-alive's to
their Web server.

> > Rob Nielsen                     rob_nielsen@adc.com
> > ADC Telecommunications, Inc.
> > http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/alumni/rob_nielsen
> > 4900 West 78th Street, MS10     (612) 896-2706
> > Minneapolis, MN  55345          (612) 896-2959 - fax

Mark
Mark Cox, Technical Director, UK Web ------ http://www.ukweb.com/~mark/
Commercial Support for the Apache Web Server, see http://www.ukweb.com/