httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William Denton <b...@io.org>
Subject Re: this is no bug (fwd)
Date Thu, 15 Feb 1996 07:03:49 GMT
On Wed, 14 Feb 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> > * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
> > *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
> > *    "This product includes software developed by the Apache Group
> > *    for use in the Apache HTTP server project (http://www.apache.org/)."
>
> Looks like a pretty blatent abuse of the license. They do say that
> their server is compatible with Apache.... :-)

Hi,

I usually just lurk here to keep an eye on what Apache's up to and to
try to follow what you guys are doing, but I may be able to help out a
bit on this.

I'm working on a project for an organization of municpalities here in
Ontario, Canada, and they have a ton - well, half a gig or so - or
text data that they want to make available to members; and of course
they want it searchable.  We were talking to the Open Text people a
couple of days ago about using their stuff, and they gave us a copy of
the Latitude server and the search engine so that we could drive it
around the block.  (The docs seem pretty poor, by the way.)

It does explicitly state someone near the front of the enormous manual
that this is the Apache web server, but I don't think it uses the
words given above.  I'll be down at the office in the next couple of
days and can see exactly what it says.  I will tell the rep we've been
dealing with about this, too, and I'll see if I can get an e-mail
address for whoever would be responsible and hopefully someone can
blast some sense into him.  They charge a lot of money for what they
sell and you folks should be getting more credit.

Cheers,

Bill

P.S.  The municipalities project is using the Netscape server, of
course, because they have to pay for it.  They didn't want to use
anything free.
William Denton | <URL:http://www.io.org/~buff/> | buff@io.org | Caveat lector.
    "All the monkeys aren't in a zoo ... every day you meet quite a few."