httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Log Ignore Hosts patch uploaded
Date Thu, 29 Feb 1996 05:50:38 GMT
>> Under normal circumstances, that is an extremely bad idea.  Is there a
>
> Why is this a bad idea?  I admit that this just a 'feature' and that
> there seems to be some amount of resistance to feature enhancements here,
> but I don't see what's wrong with it.  Its an option, not an irrevocable
> behavioral change.  You can choose not to use it and the code isn't going
> to hurt anything by simply being there.

All runtime options imply a condition somewhere in the code which tests
for them.  So, in that sense, it is a behavioral change.  However, my
question was triggered by the fact that I wrote the wwwstat log analyzer
and continually get questions about how to get the logfile to report
something other than server accesses.  The reason it is bad is that
people immediately forget that they have set the option, and then
complain about their server being loaded but nothing appearing in the log!
So, I wanted to hear at least one good reason for it, since it was quite
likely that the only reason would be "I don't want to see it in a
wwwstat report".

Saving disk space is always a good reason, so I can live with that
(but, in that case, we might as well use the same feature name as CERN).
I would use this simply to avoid logging my own MOMspider requests
(i.e., requests from known good robots).

Stopping bad robots is another issue entirely -- dropping the connection
is a better solution for them.

.....Roy