httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: Another bug of apache? (fwd)
Date Mon, 12 Feb 1996 13:07:57 GMT
> >According to my man, /dev/zero is a source of unlimited zero bytes. How would
> >memory mapping it help?
> from my man (zero(4)):
>      Mapping a  zero  special  file  creates  a  zero-initialized
>      unnamed memory object of a length equal to the length of the
>      mapping and rounded up to the nearest page size as  returned
>      by getpagesize(2).  Multiple processes can share such a zero
>      special file object provided a common  ancestor  mapped  the
>      object MAP_SHARED.

My (SCO 5) man says no such thing. That doesn't mean it doesn't work, of
course. However, the issue of which file to mmap requires a resolution to the
lack of mmap on some systems (e.g. SCO 3). It has been proposed that those
without mmap should use shm (man shmop, usually). I can't remember whether we
decided if these two covered all systems between them.

> --
> Michiel Boland <>
> University of Nijmegen
> The Netherlands