httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: patch - vote
Date Mon, 12 Feb 1996 02:54:25 GMT
> Sooner the better too since the whole problem of patch conflicts then
> goes away.

No, it just gets replaced by commit conflicts.

> The voting process will I hope go away completely when people start
> using cvs. If you have a complete new module or a something that fundamentally
> changes the way things work then the technical merits of whether it is
> desirable should be discussed here so that people don't make radical
> changes that everyone hates.

Hmmm, what ya been drinkin?  And where can I buy it?

CVS just does version control -- it doesn't even do CM, and it certainly
doesn't resolve conflicts.  I like the idea of using CVS, but it isn't
going to solve any voting problems.  What it will do is reduce the
opportunities to vote, which is what I meant by an accept-all and then
back-out voting process.

Oh, yeah, and it will give us something else to complain about.  I wouldn't
mind so much complaining about the voting process if people would just
remember what it is and why it exists.

> In terms of broken patches, you don't back them out, you just fix them.

That assumes the change was desirable in the first place and the fix
is apparent from the problem.  In other words, you do the same thing that
we currently do with patches -- the only difference is that only one
person applies the patch.

......Roy