httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Last call for patches
Date Fri, 09 Feb 1996 08:15:50 GMT
> Okay. I had a 68 byte HTML file. If I took out one character, it caused
> it to hang while the server waited for another request. So I did as Roy
> Fielding suggested and added a "Warning: your browser sucks"-like header.
> But somehow it backfired. Suddenly, it took 125 bytes to make it work.
> (the header, btw, was more than the 57-byte difference). Which was the
> result opposite of what I expected.

Hmmm, nothin like experimentation.  Did you try "Warning: your browser
*really* sucks"?

> Yet if I take the same HTML file, and make it a text file - meaning one
> more byte in the content-type header (I'm using asis files so that nothing
> else changes), it only takes 67 bytes. Likewise, if I take out the
> Last-Modified header, the requirement jumps up to 112 - which, btw, is the
> exact size (112-67=45) of the subtraction of the Last-modified header.

I'll bet it is a global variable that gets set by the amount of data
on the first read (i.e., the headers) and doesn't get reset before
the next one.  Either that, or they are reading the entire file in one
read and just forgetting to check the rest of the buffer (post-header
processing) before trying to do another blocking read.  I wonder what
would happen if you did a flush after sending the headers and
before sending the data?  Maybe with a delay in between?

You know, I fixed a similar bug in Mosaic 2.0 for transparent gifs;
too bad I don't have access to the source code.  ;-)

View raw message