httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dgau...@hotwired.com (Dean Gaudet)
Subject Re: votes on 1.0.2
Date Mon, 12 Feb 1996 18:20:24 GMT
In article <9602121618.aa05028@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> you write:
>I actually quite like autoconf, now that I understand a bit about it. The cute
>thing is that it stands some chance of doing the right thing on OSes it has
>never seen, and also of noticing improvements in existing OSes. That said,
>I can't even _compile_ autoconf on SCO 3, haven't tried 5 yet.

I "ported" by MUD code (which does serious non-blocking socket stuff, it's
on par with apache for OS dependance) to autoconf at a time when I had
access to sunos 4, and ultrix 4.  It worked with a minor tweak under
dynix/ptx (had to write a gettimeofday() routine), and with no tweaks to
linux.  After I upgraded to autoconf 2 it worked with no tweaks on solaris,
irix, and bsdi.

I'd say go for autoconf plus a file that lists modules.  Make sure you
use autoconf 2 since you are starting from scratch.  Set it up so that
most people can unpack, type ./configure (pick some useful default
installation directory... maybe /usr/local/httpd) and make install.
That's what people like ;)

Dean