httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: 111.host.patch
Date Wed, 21 Feb 1996 16:34:32 GMT
Um, I have Tobias' version of rfc931.c in hand. Do you want to start with
that? I know that there was some objection to Tony's rewrite on his choice of
functions...

David Robinson liltingly intones:

>  Subject: Only lookup DNS name for client at the time it is needed, and allow
>           the HostNameLookups directive in Directory sections.
>  Affects: Makefile.tmpl, alloc.h, alloc.c, http_config.c, http_core.h,
>           http_core.c, http_log.c, http_main.c, httpd.h, mod_access.c,
>           mod_cookies.c, mod_log_common.c, mod_log_config.c, util.c,
>           util_script.c
>  ChangeLog: Make hostname_lookups a per-directory core configuration variable.
>             Replace all accesses to the connection.remote_host and remote_name
>             variables to calls to get_remote_host(), which is now in
>             http_core.c. Also fix prototype of table_set() and in_domain().
>  Comments: Allows more control over DNS access; improves server response time.
>            Decouples hostname lookup from finding the virtual host for a
>            request. This patch should be applied after 110.buff.patch
>
> I'll do the same for the rfc931 check, and rewrite rfc931.c at the
> same time.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Shaw's Principle:
	Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will
want to use it.