httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: read-only CVS acct on hyperreal?
Date Tue, 20 Feb 1996 16:07:01 GMT
> With ssh I don't think you *need* an account to use cvs.  You just
> need to have your host's authentication key known to the hypperreal
> server.  What I am not sure about is how to tell ssh that certain
> hosts are only to be granted cvs checkout access.

Yes you do. ssh has nothing to do with cvs or vice versa. ssh is just
rsh with security wrapped around it, you still can't do anything without
an account. cvs also needs to know who is doing what, even if that's
a checkout.

> I don't do much development on the server, but I do occasionally go
> chasing after a bug.  I would love to be able to checkout the
> current version.  With cvs, all I would need to do would be to
> run cvs update in my working directory every now and then and only the
> changes will be sent to me each time.  Building full distributions
> and sticking them in an ftp dir is extremely primitive and would be
> a real pain to deal with.

Remote cvs update is not designed to be a source distribution mechanism and
should not be used as such. Complimentary tools such as sup do this job. We
need to setup sup on hyperreal. Are there any FreeBSD folks here (I know
you're there, make yourself known :-)) Someone want to look at
porting sup and ctm from FreeBSD to BSDI, should be a doddle.