httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache module "mod_expires.c"
Date Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:59:22 GMT
Ben:
> > [Thomas has been playing with the mod_expires.c module and noticed
> > that he couldn't get it to compile, cuz there was no definition for
> > HTTP_TIME_FORMAT.  It should be defined in httpd.h and the problems
> > don't exist in 1.0.1/2/3 versions of the source tree...]

> This is nothing to do with CVS. I quote a reply from David Robinson on Feb 6:
>
> -----------
> >Anyway, mod_expires 0.0.3 will not compile after patch 68.strftime is
> >applied, due to the loss of the HTTP_TIME_FORMAT #define.
>
> That's intentional. Anyway, why was mod_expires using HTTP_TIME_FORMAT
> instead of the read-made gm_timestr_822() routine in util.c??
>
>  David.
> -----------

Ok, fine ;)  I guess I blinked and missed the message, I'll fix this shortly
and follow up to Thomas with a more clueful answer.

David?  I copied the strftime() semantics from http_protocol.c
which it used in http_protocol.c's set_last_modified() call.  If
this is equivalent to gm_timestr_822() then it looks like
http_protocol.c needs to be 'reeducated'.  That said, http_protocol.c
is the only other file using gm_timestr_822 which it uses in
generating the basic header info in basic_http_header().

Your question could equally be, "why can't http_protocol.c make
it's mind up how to do this?".  I'm all for a common time-string
printing function by the way.  Can I be certain that gm_timestr_822()
is effectively in the API and that future module designers can rely
on its services?

> Ben.

Cheers,
Ay.