httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Real World Webserver Performance
Date Fri, 16 Feb 1996 18:48:43 GMT

> On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:
> > > Our webserver is current I/O bound, and just about anything you can think
> > > of affects I/O.  We found out today most of the I/O had nothing to do
> > > with user-level disk accesses, but instead with file last-accessed time
> > > updating.  Or so we think.  :)  Every 30 seconds, when the disk cache is
> > > flushed, we see a huge spike in I/O, which constant running of "sync"
> > > eliminates, so we'll see tomorrow at 11am PST (our heaviest time and the
> > > only time we have a problem) if turning that off helps things.
> >
> > What is this machine Brian? Running BSDI? Have you heard about MOSIX?
>
> Solaris 2.5.  What's MOSIX?
>
> 	Brian

MOSIX is an add-on/patch for BSDI that supposedly allows shared
resource computing among several machines on the network. Shared
memory, swap, CPU etc.

Depending on the outcome of the evaluation we are beginning,
Zyzzyva might soon be providing drop in rackmounted web servers,
hopefully in six-packs. :-)