httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: 2 thorns attacked
Date Thu, 08 Feb 1996 11:29:42 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > > How would this fit with 23.mmap patch, which avoids having to use a
> > > scoreboard file altogether?
> >
> > How about defining
> > ScoreBoardFile use-mmap
> > To switch it on?    Mmmmm, that'd mean I could switch to a file based
> > scoreboard to watch httpd_monitor then back to mmap to optimise for
> > speed.
>
> I'd prefer if there was a way to ask the server itself through an HTTP
> request for statistics.

Isn't this a dangerous road to start down (ie: having the server do
statistic tracking, reporting, etc...)? If the data is available outside
of the server, why bother bloating the code to let the server do it?

This can't _help_ performance of the server, and could possibly be
a detriment, which seems the opposite way to go :) :)
--
Jim Jagielski  << jim@jaguNET.com >>   |           "Wind the frog!"
  **  jaguNET Access Services  **      |       - Woody (from Toy Story)