httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Sanders <sand...@bsdi.com>
Subject How about mixing BindAddress and VirtualHost???
Date Sat, 03 Feb 1996 01:08:29 GMT
The problem...
> 	Note that with apache you only appear to have the following choices:
> 	*   One server (two or more processes) answering one IP address
> 	*   One server (two or more processes) answering *every* IP
> 	    alias on the machine.
> 	*   One server per virtual host (two or more processes per
> 	    server) each answering one IP address
>     	I have gone the second route, which implies I had to create a
> 	dummy index page which returns an error when people try to
> 	attach to IP addresses [that shouldn't be running servers.]
> 	It sure would have been nice to be able to list
> 	the addresses I wanted to accept connections on.

Technically speaking, if you just use <VirtualHost> then Apache
binds to *.80.  Which also means that you cannot then run another
Apache with a different uid also using <VirtualHost>.

Anyone care?  Anyone looked at patching Apache so you could list
multiple BindAddress's (possibly in the <VirtualHost> section) to
get around this?