httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Long <bl...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: port to the BeBox?
Date Fri, 02 Feb 1996 17:11:21 GMT
Last time, Ben Laurie uttered the following other thing:

> > Last time, Robert S. Thau uttered the following other thing:
> > >

> > >   2) sockets are not inherited across fork() calls.  I see this as being a

> > >   bigger problem.
> > >
> > > Yup... it's a problem.  There are three common styles of Unix servers
> > > that I'm aware of:
> > >

> > [Good description of current servers deleted]
> >
> > You did miss the threaded servers and async servers, but nothing
> > big is doing that yet.  (Paul Phillips Boa, and the Spyglass server,
> > though I'm not sure if its threaded or not (its available for SunOS, which
> > doesn't have threads, but it could be using pthreads for all I know)).
>
> What is pthreads?

A portable implementation of Posix threads, originally from Florida State
University, currently under development by Christopher Provenszano at MIT,
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/proven/pthreads.html
Its currently in the ELF libraries for Linux, and supports NetBSD, FreeBSD,
Linux, SunOS 4.1.3, 2.3, 2.4, Ultrix 4.2, OSF/1 2.3, IRIX 5.3.  Some work
has been done to support BSD/OS 2.0 and 1.1 as well as HP-UX 9.05.

Brandon

--
 Brandon Long         "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
 HTTPd/SDG/NCSA	  "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."