httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: Apache 1.0.0 ignores HUP
Date Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:27:00 GMT

willday@rom.oit.gatech.edu (Will Day) wrote:
>A short time ago, at a computer terminal far, far, away, Ben Beecher wrote:
>>We are running Apache 1.0.0 compiled with the mod_log_config module,
>>running on two identical Solaris 2.4 machines with the current jumbo
>>patch.  On one machine the server works properly, but on the other
>>machine it ignores HUPs and is not logging any requests.  Can you help
>>us identify the problem?
>
>When I set up Apache/1.0.0 on a couple of our Solaris 2.4 machines
>here, I observed the same behavior.  After adding the following to the
>bottom of httpd.h, it worked fine:
>
>#ifdef SOLARIS2
>       #define signal sigset
>#endif /* SOLARIS2 */
>
>I'm not sure of the details; one of the other system programmers had
>suggested this, as he said he'd seen problems with Solaris signal
>handling with the "signal" call before.

No, this is not reasonable. The difference between using signal() and sigset()
to set a disposition for a signal is what happens after your signal
handler is called. With signal() the disposition for the signal is
reset to the default state; with sigset(), it remains set to the
signal handler.

This should not affect Apache, which explicitly resets the disposition
of the HUP signal to call the signal handler, after the last HUP signal
has been received.

 David.