httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: The List
Date Sat, 20 Jan 1996 23:35:35 GMT
On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Chuck Murcko wrote:
>   <li>  Log unknown Agent or Referer received, when activated.
>
> This one pertains to the mod_log_agent and mod_log_referer modules,
> to log an empty entry when either Agent or Referer is missing. It's already
> done here, to make the logs easier to correlate for the poor guy doing the
> log analyzers.

I hesitate to add this because I believe a better strategy for that is to
keep them in the same file in the first place, using the configurable
logging module to achieve it.  If fixing this is needed to be compatible
with "how NCSA does it", then it's more acceptible.

BTW, I did a bit of work on the configurable-logging module for organic's
logs, which I haven't contributed yet.  Some I did were non-controversial
- hacking it to be able to get %o{'Content-type'} for example - but
others included a new time format for easier parsing and escaping the
field separator.  For the latter, I chose '|' as my separator, and for
efficiency reasons chose to convert any '|' found in a field to '/'
instead of '\|' so that I didn't have to write to a new string and so I
could still use perl to split the logs easily.  Thoughts?

As for the bug/todo/wish list - I'll wait a few more days for submissions,
and then set up a vote.  Each item will have 4 or 5 radio buttons next to
each of them, ranging from most serious to least serious, and after the vote
is taken I'll organize them by weight given.

	Brian