httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject MD5
Date Sun, 07 Jan 1996 04:05:37 GMT
On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> And, on another note... last week, I started looked into adding MD5 digest
> authentication to Apache, as per the current Internet Draft. (If anyone's
> working on this already, please speak up now and I'll stop looking).
> However, the current auth code is decidedly not designed for use with
> multiple authentication types. One would have to write a mod_md5_auth and
> a mod_md5_auth_dbm and so forth and again for each additional auth type we
> want to support. So obviously we need a better way. Anyone have any
> thoughts on how this should be done? (the actual MD5 part seems easy, this
> would be the hard part).

Well, you mean one would have to write a separate module for each
(authenticationtype,passworddatabase) pair.  This actually isn't true -
mod_auth and mod_dbm_auth *could* be combined, since they use different
configuration options.  At least, I've never had a problem compiling with
both turned on.  So, you could do a mod_auth_md5 and have config options
for using either DBM files, flat files, or even mSQL in the same module.

Or am I missing something?

	Brian