httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: HTTP-ng, Anonymous and mSQL-Auth
Date Sun, 07 Jan 1996 03:53:51 GMT
On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Dirk.vanGulik wrote:
> - Is anyone working on working on (a demo of) http-ng ? If so,
>   please let me know. If not; we'll be implementing something
>   in that area. (But possible limited to Solaris and BSD)
>
>   Q: Is the need felt for this; i.e. the time spend on making it
>   a generic rahter than 'ewse.org' only version ?

Yup!  Actually, there has been some discussion about whether HTTP-ng is
implementable in a server which is not multi-threaded - since a request
can be sent at any time over the connection, and the response can be sent
in any order, there is some multiplexing of functions going on that might
become a really big task unless it's multithreaded.  The good news is
that Apache is probably going to be easier to make multithreaded than the
original NCSA server was.

The only multithreaded public domain server out there I know of is
Spinner - maybe there's something we can pick up from them?

There are a couple other issues, like whether changes will need to be
made to CGI to support NG.  For example, NPH scripts are impossible.

At this point, I'd even be happy with an implementation of HTTP/1.1
keepalive.

> - Because we got fed up with questions, mainly from the mSQL
>   list; I wrote a small test/demo suite for mSQL and apache.
>   (A copy resides somewhere on hypperreal.) Would it be worthwile
>   to expand on this ?
>
>   Q: Is the need felt for this; i.e. the time spend on making it
>   a generic rahter than 'ewse.org' only version ?

We should have a tutorials section on the site, yup - pass along whatever
you have and I'll create a section for it.

> - Has anyone also written a PICS module; if not, is anyone
>   interested in doing so ? We have a simple version, for 'proof-
>   of-principle' testing here but lack the desire to do serious
>   interop. testing.
>
>   Q: Is the need felt for this; i.e. the time spend on making it
>   a generic rahter than 'ewse.org' only version ?

I'd be very interested in this.

	Brian