httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: MD5
Date Sun, 07 Jan 1996 04:09:49 GMT
On Sat, 6 Jan 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Well, you mean one would have to write a separate module for each
> (authenticationtype,passworddatabase) pair.  This actually isn't true -
> mod_auth and mod_dbm_auth *could* be combined, since they use different
> configuration options.  At least, I've never had a problem compiling with
> both turned on.  So, you could do a mod_auth_md5 and have config options
> for using either DBM files, flat files, or even mSQL in the same module.
>
> Or am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything. My point was that the auth modules are
authentication-type-dependent. It'd be nice if one could write a module
that did authentication without having to worry about authentication type
- that should all be built into Apache, and the modules should have some
generic functions to call that will work with any authentication scheme,
so we don't need different versions of the modules for each type. This is
especially important if we want to support some kind of security
negotiation in the future.

Doesn't that make sense?