httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.com>
Subject Apache in the news...
Date Thu, 11 Jan 1996 03:23:35 GMT

note the copyright, don't forward around (Brad Templeton hates it).
Didn't realize so many of my quotes would be taken verbatim. :)

	Brian

>From: newsbytes@clari.net (NB / TYO)
>Newsgroups: clari.tw.new_media,clari.nb.online
>Subject: Apache Web Server Gains Fans Fast 01/09/96

TOKYO, JAPAN, 1996 JAN 9 (NB) -- In the world of browser software for
the Internet's World Wide Web, everyone knows Netscape Navigator. To
many users it is the software of choice and it is hard to spend ten
minutes on the Web without seeing a message telling you a page is
optimized for it, but in the world of Web server software, a just-over
six month-old program called Apache is proving to be the rising star.

According to the latest results from Netcraft's Web Server Survey, a
monthly automated survey that seeks to find what server software all
known Web sites are using, Apache now runs just under 20% of all sites
on the World Wide Web, an impressive figure given the software didn't
exist nine months ago.

The server was born out of the wishes of people for faster development
of new additions and updates of the NCSA (National Center for
Supercomputing Activities) Web server. Work on this software slowed
when the primary authors left to form Netscape Communications
Corporation.

As set out by the project, "The goal is to provide a secure, efficient
and extensible server which provides HTTP (hypertext transfer
protocol) services in sync with the current HTTP standards." Apache
was designed as a plug-in replacement for NCSA 1.3, so anyone wishing
to use an actively maintained, public domain Web server could change
with the "minimum of difficulty."

When Netcraft released the first Web Server Survey, in August, 1995,
the Apache server accounted for just 3.47% of all sites, well behind
the NCSA and CERN servers which dominated the network with 57.16% and
19.69% respectively.

As the year continued, the percentage of sites using the Apache server
climbed to reach almost three times the August figure by November,
when it hit 11.39%. The December 5 release of version 1.0 of Apache
pushed up usage figures to 17.91% of all servers, and as of January
1, Apache was running on 19.74% of all Web sites.

In the same period since August, Netscape has seen its percentage rise
from 2.65% to 13.50% and other servers, notably the NCSA server, which
Apache seems to be replacing, have lost ground.

Brian Behlendorf, a core member of the Apache Project, told Newsbytes
what he believed to be the reasons people were switching to the
software, saying, "The features, and the ability to add new features
easily through the API (application programming interface), plus the
huge community of other Apache users and module builders, makes for a
very rich soup."

The huge community of users that Behlendorf talks of are adding, and
taking, a lot from the project, making it an interesting experience.
He continued, "Increased notoriety has its benefits and drawbacks.
Certainly the demands for supporting this increase as the user base
increases.

"Sometimes, the code base needs to be pulled aside and revamped top to
bottom and when people are pressuring to add little enhancements here
and there, revamps are discouraged. Since this is a volunteer effort,
people contribute time when they can, which means that some people
have contributed and left, but there are some new faces in the group
too," he noted.

As for the future, "There are still lots of things to add, and the
user interface needs to be greatly enhanced," said Behlendorf. However,
he added with some satisfaction, "What's there now represents a
significant advance over what we started with last April."

On the drawing board are versions for OS/2 and the full release of
Apache SSL, a Web server that includes support for Netscape's Secure
Sockets Layer which is used in applications requiring encryption of
messages.

The seeds that Netscape grew from were planted in a very similar way --
the NCSA Web server that Apache is now largely replacing. Will, or
could, a commercial venture ever spin off from this project?

"There is an API to its internal workings which allows other parties
to write commercial modules which plug into it, and they are free to
distribute those modules however they see fit," said Behlendorf. "The
core will stay in the public domain -- taking any part of it private
would lose one of its greatest strengths -- the fact that it is a
public-source-code server."

As of January 1, major Internet sites running Apache include Hot
Wired at http://www.hotwired.com/ , and Web Crawler at
http://www.webcrawler.com/ .

More details on the Apache Project can be found on the World Wide Web
at http://www.apache.org/ . Netcraft's Web Server Survey can be found
at http://www.netcraft.co.uk/ .

(Martyn Williams/19960109/Press, public contact: Apache Project,
Internet e-mail apache@apache.org)
--
This is the NEW RELEASE of the ClariNet e.News! If you notice any
problems with the new edition, please mail us at editor@clari.net and