httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Schrenk <>
Subject Re: Timeout patch uploaded
Date Mon, 22 Jan 1996 17:05:07 GMT

Andrew is correct -- my patch has absolutely nothing to do with accept
errors.  The error it fixes is much more straightforward, and Andrew
describes it well below.  I think its a relatively serious problem, if
you are trying to distribute large files via HTTP to modem users, and wonder
if it should be slated for Apache 1.0.2 or for 1.1b0 (as it has been

On Mon, 22 Jan 1996, Andrew wrote:

> The accept errors that Aram's seeing are almost certainly not
> intended to be fixed by Nathan's patch.  The patch is intended to
> prevent Apache from dropping the line when it's been downloading
> data to a slow modem for > Timeout seconds.  The accept errors, at
> least on Solaris and other OSs, are indicative of a SOMAXCONN-related
> condition.  That is, the kernel hasn't been configured to operate
> as a high volume webserver, which might need to be able to cope
> with 10s (or hundredds) of pending connections.

> To reiterate.  Nathan's timeout patch fixes a condition that ocurrs
> well after a connection between client and server has been established.
> Aram's observed problem ocurrs *before* a conection between client
> and server has been established.  Please don't confuse the two
> issues, they are quite separate.

> Ay.

Nathan Schrenk
Neoglyphics Media Corp.