httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: proxying
Date Fri, 19 Jan 1996 20:27:21 GMT

> Well, I've got a _non-caching_ Apache 1.0 http proxy working. I've been aiming
> at strict standards conformance, so the code probably looks a little different
> to any other proxy software...
>
> Does anyone have any good references for designing a 'cache'?
> I was thinking along the lines of using a strong 128-bit checksum of the
> METHOD/URL as the cache key; the key is encoded as a filename, and I search
> through all files called key.* to find a cache entry.

Speaking as one who has just had to deal with inode insufficiency - don't do
this. Much better to use a database, for starters. It is also a well known
fact (on older filesystems, at least) that large numbers of files in a single
directory is a Bad Thing.

> I would probably break out part of the filename into a directory name
> to avoid thousands of cache files in the main cache directory.

Damn. I really should read to the end of the message. The point about inodes
still stands. EAFS has a hard limit of 64k-some inodes. 'Nuff said.

I have some very old (but very reliable) btree code if it is of any interest.
Of course, dbm (or db) would be the natural choice.

Cheers,

Ben.

> Maybe Alexei and I should share code on this one...
>
>  David.

London, England.