httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dirk.vanGulik" <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: more web server performance stats
Date Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:02:11 GMT

Why make it better :-), no seriously when you are building
real sites, you often use a sparc 20 or euqivalent dec
alpha, sgi box, etc.. and with apache on that you easily
fill a T1 connection.

But most of us are not hanging out static pages but doiing
perhaps 10 database lookups (we are on an average of 7) for
each page send out; having to handle 12 k of perl to compile,
and opening 3 sockets with whatever...

That is the stuff which takes time, and for that reason by
the time you ara able to fill a T1, you propably have two
or three machines (if yet alone for safety and failsafe reasons).

So lets ensure that we limit resources, get good connections
with our backends, perhaps a cgi-pipe kind of thing, etc, make
it easy to build modules into the server which do a lot more
than just passing things on....

Dw.