httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: HTTP-ng, Anonymous and mSQL-Auth
Date Sun, 07 Jan 1996 09:17:52 GMT
> On Sat, 6 Jan 1996, sameer wrote:
> > 	Is there a good reference on MT that I can look at? I don't
> > have a very good clue on what multi-threadedness is all about.
> Dunno either.  Who on the list has experience with writing multithreaded
> applications?

I have. Amongst others I have written an MT protocol stack, which seems kind
of relevant.

>  Should we make a public call-out for help?  I know there
> are platform issues too, not all OS's do threading so Apache suddenly
> becomes harder to port.

Actually, in my experience, it isn't too hard to make an MT program work on an
ST platform - if care is taken. So long as one is happy with the ST doing
things sequentially, that is.

Another alternative is to simulate threads with children on ST platforms. This
would be the only way to get a nice HTTP-NG implementation on ST. It would
mean abstracting the interface between threads, which is generally a good idea
anyway, as it tends to avoid the nastier problems of MT.

If Apache were MT, it wouldn't have to spawn children, would it?

When do we start?

> > 	I'm of the opinion that use of NPH should be deprecated, and
> > only supported in the server for back-compatibility with existing
> > sites which use NPH.
> Okay, then we'll need either a mod_server-push or a CGI header which sets
> the CGI-output read buffer size.

Or even both!

> 	Brian
>  http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/