httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: 504 Gateway Timeout: another thing for the wish list
Date Mon, 29 Jan 1996 11:37:10 GMT

> >I had a quick look and it appears (I did say a "quick" look :-) that Apache
> >just drops the connection when it hits a timeout. Hmmm, not very helpful
> >is it?
>
> At last you've realised the real problem with the timeout code! 8-)

Ahh I've seen the light!

> Apache only needs two timeouts.

that's not obvious to me.

> One for data transfers to the client, TimeOut
                         ^^

what about from the client? I might be willing to let responses
take minutes per block of data to get sent but I'd much rather only
allow client a few seconds (<10) to send the initial request GET/PUT/POST..

> Another for any _internal_ slow operation; TimeOutInternal

-=-=-

thinking about "504 Gateway Timeout" a bit more last night; shouldn't
there be a mechanism in HTTP to let the server change its mind about the
response ?, e.g.

HTTP/1.0 200 OK

<P>performing the search..........</P>

****** something here - I've no idea what, is this what SIGURG is for? **