httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: Internet Explorer
Date Tue, 23 Jan 1996 09:10:41 GMT

> Rob> Netscape have dragged their feet on this missing feature for well
> Rob> over a year now, and show no signs of taking the faintest
> Rob> interest in making their browser network friendly.
>
> Huh?  If I gzip a HTML file, and GET it w/ 'zilla (2.0b6a/Linux at the
> moment; either a GET on file.html or on file.html.gz), it get's
> unzipped and displayed.
>
> In fact, according to the release notes, support for x-gzip and
> x-compress was added in version 1.1.

I started the thread talking about Mac and windoze.
They've been crippled from day 1 and 2.0 isn't going to change things
unless netscape have something up their sleave.

It took a lot of bitter arguments to get this supported in the unix
versions for 1.1. Netscape wanted it consistently crippled across all
platforms.

rob