httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: proxying
Date Tue, 23 Jan 1996 03:18:40 GMT
> On Sun, 21 Jan 1996, sameer wrote:
> > 	dbm flocking is *bad* when you are getting on the order of one
> > hundred thousand hits/day. I used a dbm/flock method previously for my
> > daily-traffic-limit (if I ever clean up the code enough to release
> > quality I'll upload it) system, but when I was getting 100khits/day,
> > it started to hit contention so much that things *never* suceeded.
>
> Hmmm, doesn't gdbm handle locking internally?  what about berkeley db?
> And if contention was a problem, doesn't that mean the backoff algorithm
> needed to be tuned?  Also, in general you do not need to lock a dbm file
> to read it, unless it's a file which is likely to get changed very often.
> HotWired's servers handled 300K lookups a day with probably 10K
> writes/day (the writes did lock), on a ndbm file with 200K entries, when
> I left.  If gdbm or berkeley db is even better than that, I don't see why
> it would be that much a problem...

DBOPEN(3)                                               DBOPEN(3)

NAME
       dbopen - database access methods

SYNOPSIS
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <limits.h>
       #include <db.h>

       DB *
       dbopen(const char *file, int flags, int mode, DBTYPE type,
            const void *openinfo);

DESCRIPTION

       The  flags  and  mode  arguments  are  as specified to the
       open(2)  routine,  however,  only  the  O_CREAT,   O_EXCL,
       O_EXLOCK,   O_NONBLOCK,  O_RDONLY,  O_RDWR,  O_SHLOCK  and
       O_TRUNC flags are meaningful.  (Note, opening  a  database
       file O_WRONLY is not possible.)