httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: proxying
Date Sun, 21 Jan 1996 02:16:25 GMT
  > Speaking as one who has just had to deal with inode insufficiency
  > - don't do this. Much better to use a database, for starters. It
  > is also a well known fact (on older filesystems, at least) that
  > large numbers of files in a single directory is a Bad Thing.

  Unfortunately, there isn't really any other way. In desiging my proxy
  module, I spent a long time thinking and talking to some friends who have
  lots of experience in this sort of thing, and they all agreed that a
  file-based system as David described really is the only way to do it.

There are actually two separate problems here --- inode insufficiency,
and unnecessary overhead in dealing with overly large directories.  The
first can be attacked (if at all) by specifying unusually large numbers
of inodes when the filesystem is mkfs'ed; FWIW, it only seems likely to
be problematic if the filesystem is tuned for files which are
substantially larger than the average file served via http (if not, then
the cache would require no more inodes than any other similarly sized
partition).

Regarding dealing with large directories, there's always the fake
hierarchy trick --- my home directory on Athena is /.../r/s/rst;
another person's might be /.../f/o/foo.

rst