httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: dbm -> db
Date Thu, 18 Jan 1996 15:56:13 GMT

> > > Can someone post the module so I can actually see the code? Just send it
> > > to me if it's already been posted and I missed it.
> >
> > it's in the for_Apache_1.0.1 dir
>
> Ok, I still don't see any problem.
>
> If BSD folks want to use mod_auth_db.c then they need to us AuthDBUserFile
> just like anyone else and if they don't then they can stay with the old
> code.
>
> Either way it makes no difference to BSD since the db code will always get
> used.
>
> What's the problem you're seeing that I'm not?

The problem as I see it is that Apache is claiming to be doing
DBM when (with BSD) it's actually doing DB. No big deal in general
except that the wrong name is being used. This could be an issue if
two servers (one BSD the other not) were sharing .htaccess files and
they refer to DBM.. the result will be incompatibility. If the BSD
stuff uses the correct name (via mod_auth_db) then this wouldn't be
a problem.  [sharing DBM files looks impossible in this scenario]

We can't do much about BSD users who want to stick with auth_dbm, but
I think it's a good idea to encourage use of the correct name, assuming
there's no problem with auth_db under BSD.